Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Training Chatter

Training Chatter

The room is spare save for a circle of chairs. A motley group of individuals all
clad in spandex and lycra fidgit in their chairs. All are nervous and anxious, like
they are waiting for the starting gun to go off for a race. Finally, and older
individual stands, clears his throat, and starts to speak.
“Hello, my name is Dave and I have an issue with training chatter…”
“Hello Dave…”

There I said it. I hate training chatter. Ok?

Don’t get me wrong. I, like any other person who does triathlons, engages in a
certain amount of training conversation. It, in a way, is the nature of the beast.
What got to me though was the guy who could do nothing but talk training and
talk of nothing else. At first, it really didn’t bother me, but as my first racing
season unfolded I became more and more bothered by the incessant training
chatter. It literally began to drive me crazy, which in turn probably drove my
coach crazy as well. As I look back now I can divide this chatter into five different
categories.
#1 – The Bemoan-er
This is the guy that constantly bemoans his lack of training time and makes sure
you are aware of his plight. Interestingly enough, the guy seems to have a job
that allows him to go on several mid-week bike rides in the middle of the day for
several hours. He frets publically about how out of shape he is due to said lack
of training time. This training time always seems to equal about twice the
amount of training time you are able to shoe horn in either before or after working
hours.
#2 – The One Up-er
This is the guy who always asks you about your training first so he can make
sure you know his training is just a little bit harder and longer than what you are
doing. This person clearly rides and runs uphill both ways and always into a
headwind.
#3 – the Look at Me-er
This is the guy who shares every training moment on social media. This includes
split times, power meter readings, heart rate monitor read outs, with all the bells,
and whistles. I liken it to a very long day at the pool with a child that wants you to
watch them every time they go off the diving board.
#4 – The Bling-er
This is the guy who shares every purchase with you and the world, be it a new
bike, aero bars, helmet, wetsuit, or wind resistant jock strap. In the time you
have purchased one wetsuit, bike, or power meter, this guy has purchased three
of each. The revelation of each purchase is usually followed by a long discourse
on what would be purchased next. This seems to be an extremely vicious and
expensive cycle.
#5 – The Need to Know-er
At face value, this seems to be a very benign form of chatter. However, this one
is the most dangerous and under-handed. This is the guy who expresses
‘genuine’ interest in your training and wants to know all about what you’re doing
in great detail. It isn’t until much later that you discover this person is writing
down and duplicating your program. Some might say, “so what”, but for me, this
is a plan written for me by my coach. Lifting this plan in my mind is a form of
plagiarism and an affront to my coach and his ability to make a living.

As my racing season was coming to a head I couldn’t understand why this
chatter was bothering me so much. I came to two conclusions. The first was a
fear of disappointment and the other boiled down to something I would term, act
like you’ve been there.

My fear of disappointment came from not wanting to disappoint my coach. Now I
will be the first to say that my coach never put any pressure on me or ever
expressed disappointment - far from it in fact. He was supportive and constantly
provided encouragement. As a new athlete, I saw and heard the chatter as an
indictment of not training hard enough or long enough. What I failed to recognize
was that my coach had developed a training plan for me in order to be
successful. I was trying to compare myself to others when in reality all I needed
to do was follow the plan set out for me and not worry about what others were
doing or saying.

When I see an athlete preen after scoring a touchdown or hitting a three-pointer I
am reminded of Jerry Rice, who always stressed to “act like you’ve been there
before”. Jaime, my coach, provides a good example of what Jerry Rice practiced
and preached. As an accomplished triathlete and coach Jaime could be excused
if he participated in some of the chatter I have listed – and believe I have seen
and heard some coaches and athletes do just that. However, he truly acts like
he has been there before and that he will be there yet again. I began to realize
that the chatter was just another form of preening and I should just remember to
look to him as a role model. Jaime has taught me to live in and embrace the
moment, follow the plan before me, and to cut out the chatter.

It has been difficult but for the most part I have come to terms with the chatter.
There is still that guy who continues to chatter away and Jaime, at times, has had
to act as my sponsor, and point me back in the right direction. It involves being
strong, sticking to the plan, and not letting peer pressure get the best of me.
A new race season has begun and with it a new training program. It is one that I
will discuss, question, analyze, and revisit with Jaime. This year, rather than
falling into the art of second guessing myself and allowing some to practice mind
games I’ll put on the earphones, crank the tunes, focus on the plan, and cut the

chatter.

No comments:

Post a Comment