Monday, April 21, 2014

1/2


This is a great opportunity to practice calming the mind. It doesn’t matter if you
are in a sea of 3000 swimmers before an Ironman or 100 runners in Bend. You
should be able to look inside. There you will find that voice that is with you in all
your workouts. This day is like all others. Listen to that voice. Just cut out all
the exterior static and do what you are programming yourself to do. Have a great
run.
Jaime Dispenza,
Coach, all around good dude, dispenser
of uplifting quotes before races

It had been almost four months to the day since my last race. Today I was going
to run my first half marathon in almost 18 months.

When I met with Jaime after the Leadman to discuss my base season he told me
that he wanted me to find a half marathon to run in the winter months. This
would give me something to focus on and build upon as we worked towards the
next triathlon season. Rather quickly I discovered and signed up for the Cascade
Half Marathon, held just 2 ó hours west of Bend in Salem.

It was now mid-January. Rising early, fueled by food, and sustained by Dutch
Bros. coffee, I made the drive over Santiam Pass into the Willamette Valley.
After Detroit Lakes I dropped into the valley and into a thick and soupy fog. I
made my way to the rural high school where the race would begin and end. My
friend and teammate Riley was already there. I picked up my registration packet,
got dressed, and then headed out with Riley onto the high school track to run a
couple of laps and warm up. As we ran around the track we discussed our goals
for the race. Mine were pretty modest. I simply wanted to finish my race in
under two hours, have fun, and send out positive comments to my fellow runners.
We made our way to the start. I felt good. I knew I could run the distance. It was
an extremely flat course that was a simple out and back. It would boil down to
finding and maintaining a rhythm and following the plan Jaime I discussed. The
plan for this race was to start out at a nice even pace and slowly build at threemile
intervals. My fastest and strongest part of the race would hopefully occur
during the last quarter of the race.

I positioned myself in the middle of the pack at the start. The gun went off and
we made our way out onto the rural roads. There was a lot of jockeying at the
beginning of the race as runners sought to fall into an appropriate pace. I found
a pace that worked for me and began to enjoy the run. The fog leant a peaceful
and eerie addition to the rural landscape as I ran.

I actually enjoy out and back races because it allows a face-to-face interaction
with other runners. Some runners get into a very focused state. I tend to like to
yell out positive comments. It puts me in a good place, allows me to focus, and
takes my mind off the monotony of the long race. As I began to slowly quicken
my pace I alternated my encouraging words between, “Nice job!”, “Keep it
going!”, and “Looking good!.” Every so often I made sure to high five a runner
who looked like they needed a bit of encouragement.

Just past mile three I was surprised to see runners already heading back to the
finish line. I then remembered that runners who did not wish to be timed could
begin the race an hour ahead of schedule. These were the runners I was
meeting. Relieved, I slightly picked up my pace to the next level.

Before mile five I came upon a woman runner who appeared to be struggling, but
also had a determined look on her face. I greeted her with a smile and
exclaimed, “You are rocking this race girlfriend. Keep up the good work!” She
laughed and said, “Thanks Laughing Dog!” At first I was surprised by her
recognition of my team until I realized I had my team kit on – duh!

I was pleased to not see any of the elite runners until just before the six-mile
marker. This told me I was doing ok and I picked up my pace. Just beyond the
six-mile mark Riley came by and we fist bumped one another. He was looking
strong and I knew he was going to have a good race. At the turnaround I
understood that the race was in the bag in terms of finishing and meeting my
goals.

Now that I was running back to the finish I got the chance to encourage those
racers behind me. Many greeted me with sudden smiles of appreciation and
some yelled back their own encouraging word. When I hit mile nine it was time
to start cranking. Just a little over a 5K left! I saw the woman I talked to earlier
and yelled out, “Girl, you are so owning this race. It’s time to kick some lycra!”
She busted out laughing and said, “Hey Laughing Dog, how ‘bout you run by me
so I can check out your ass!” I was only too happy to oblige.

With each mile I slightly picked up the pace and encouraged those I passed with
a positive comment. I finished with a strong kick and crossed the finish line in
1:42:51, content and happy with my accomplishment. I met my goal and ran a
sub 8-minute race. I got my medal, called Jaime to tell him about my race, and
then I headed for the feed room. I grabbed a quick bite, gathered my things up,
congratulated Riley on a well-run race, and made my way to the parking lot. As I
walked by the finish line I paused and saw a familiar face running toward the
finish line. As before she was struggling but had a determined look. When she
crossed the finish line she broke into a grin from ear to ear. I met her in the finish
chute, gave her a high five and congratulated her on a race well run. She
hugged me and said, “You don’t know how much those words of encouragement
meant to me Laughing Dog. Coming from an athlete like you made it even more
special.” She hugged me again and then walked off to meet up with some of her
friends who were already done.

I was a bit dazed. What had she meant by saying an athlete like me? For a
moment there was no fog surrounding the race site. Instead a ray of sunshine
and warmth pierced into my heart. It was the voice of gratitude but it was also
the voice of content in a race well run. All those workouts in the cold and dark
evenings had paid off. I found my voice and with it I found happiness and
success. I got in my car to begin my journey back to Bend. As I pulled out of the
parking lot I realized I had met my time goal, had fun, and encouraged others. It

was a great way to kick off my first race for 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment