Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Beaver Freezer 2014

What a difference a year can make.
Before my family and I headed out to Corvallis I swung by Jaime’s house with a
little gift. It had been a year since he’d put the triathlon bug in my ear and I
wanted to express my gratitude with a growler full of Deschutes Cinder Cone
Red.

I was excited and he told me I was ready to go. “Just go do what you are trained
to do. Don’t waste time or energy on anything during the race. Stay organized
and precise. But have fun!” I reminded him that last year he told me to look up
every so often and smile. He noted that it was “ok to look up but to make sure I
stayed in aero.”

The Beaver Freezer is one of the largest if not the largest triathlons in the nation
with a pool start. Actually, it starts in two pools. It sells out in a matter of hours.
This year there would be over 600 participants. It was the same weekend that
my wife was doing the Mudslinger, a large mountain bike race, just down the
road. It would be a family weekend.

We stayed within walking distance of the race so I was able to walk over to the
registration area, pick up my race packet, and head back to the hotel with plenty
of time to eat, get dressed, and head back to the transition area with my bike.
Last year I was nervous and full of self-doubt and uncertainty. I was
overwhelmed with how large the transition area was and I didn’t know what to
expect. This year I came in with a lot more focus. I got rid of the extraneous
stuff and tried to concentrate on the task at hand. I found a place for my bike,
laid everything out, double checked everything, and headed for the pool.

The trouble with a triathlon pool start is that you are sharing a swim lane with
others. It is understood that during the swim, one should pause at the wall if the
swimmer behind you is trying to overtake you. I was in the third slot of four and
we would go five seconds after each other. When the race began I saw the guy
ahead of me shoot off quickly. I thought to myself that I wouldn’t need to worry
about overtaking this swimmer. I began my race with a relaxed stroke. It felt
good and strong. After one lap (there would be nine more) I realized that I was
coming up on the swimmer in front of me. I touched his leg twice and held back
a bit, waiting for him to pause when we reached the wall. It didn’t happen. He
kept going. I flip turned and saw that the guy behind me was still a ways back. I
was concerned about running into him should I try to go around the swimmer in
front of me. I just decided to bide my time, touch his leg a couple more time, and
wait for the wall. He reached the wall and again kept going. That was all I
needed. To hell with this I thought. I kicked it into overdrive and swam around
the guy. Thankfully the guy behind me wasn’t close, nor was the lead swimmer.
I was able to now relax and swim my race. I emerged from the pool right behind
the lead person. I didn’t even bother to see where the swimmers behind me
were in the lane.

I ran out of the pool, down the sidewalk, and into the large transition area. I
zeroed in on my bike, dried my feet, threw my gear on, and began running my
bike out of the transition area. I hopped on my bike, clipped in, and I was off
through the Oregon State University campus, and out into the countryside that
surrounds Corvallis. All I remember about the bike portion was thanking the
volunteers I rode by, staying in aero, and a dude named Del. Del and I met up
about a quarter of the way through the bike portion of the race. For a while we
played kind of a cat and mouse game. I’d pass him and then he’d pass me.
Each time I’d pass he’d yell out, “You’re setting a great pace Laughing Dude!”
Once I hit the last turn around I put the head down and started cranking. Back I
came into transition. I was feeling good because I wasn’t passed by anyone. I
threw the shoes on quickly, stripped off the gloves and jacket, and I was off on
the run.

The run portion of the Beaver Freezer covers three loops around the old part of
the campus. It’s fun because people are coming into the race and leaving it
depending upon their number of laps. There are a lot of folks cheering you on
and there is a festive atmosphere to this final portion of the race. I felt great and
with each lap I pushed just a little bit faster. On the last lap I heard Del shouting
out behind me, “Awesome pace Laughing Dude. Keep it going!” I made the final
turn into the Union Quad and sprinted hard for the finish line. I crossed the line in
1:12:29. More than 18 minutes better than my time from the previous year.

I got my results and a drink. I slowly walked around the quad and cheered on
runners as they crossed the finish line. I felt a hand slap my back and turned
around to see Del ready to give me a high five. I obliged and he said, “Dude,
awesome pace, I tried to catch you but you were just too fast. You helped me
run a great race.” We chatted for a bit, fist bumped and then I made my way
back to transition area. I had hoped to see my wife and daughter but I completed
the race a bit faster than I had estimated. They arrived at the finish area as I was
walking down to the transition area. We met up by a campus building and I
texted Jaime my results. I relished in the afterglow of a race well run. My first of
the year was in the books and it felt really good. All the training was worth it, and
as I later learned from not only Jaime but from a few other athletes that shaving
18 minutes off a sprint race is something to definitely be proud of and is quite an
accomplishment. I hope that this begins a great race season full of continued

improvement, wonderful experiences, and of course, fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment