Wednesday, July 23, 2014

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Somewhere along the line I slipped off track.  I’m caught moving one step up and two steps back.
                        Bruce Springsteen


The last week had been a roller coaster for my coach and I.  For each thrilling ride to the top there had been an abysmal descent.  It had been a frustrating time and for a while I felt like I was really undergoing a tremendous setback.

The swim had been been fine.  Why wouldn’t it?  I was still using the buoy and using my arms.  It was my foot that was the key piece and even in the swim I was still avoiding flip turns because I wasn’t sure how my toe joint would feel pushing off the wall.  The question would be coming back on the bike, and more importantly the run.

Summer in Bend is usually very pleasant.  Sunny and temperatures in the 80’s.  Every so often we’ll get some weather that is considered warmer than normal – in this case the mid 90’s.  For someone from Phoenix this would be a cool spell but in Bend, this would be 10 to 15 degrees above normal.  After two weeks in Montana and Eastern Oregon, with very limited training under my belt, I came back to a Bend that was baking under abnormally warm conditions.

The Tuesday after I returned I went for a bike ride.  The temperatures were warm and I was unaccustomed to the conditions.  While the ride went well my heart rate was erratic.  I was supposed to do interval drills but ended up not finishing my last interval because I couldn’t get my heart rate under control. I rode home on an easy spin and got in my shoes for a quick run.  The run was a disaster.  My legs felt like lead weights. 

Prior to this run Jaime and I had discussed changing shoes.  I had been running in Newtons and Jaime wanted me to look at running in Hokas, which were more forgiving and cushioned the foot better than the Newtons.  I went to FootZone in Bend and talked to Tonya Littlehales, a endurance race runner.  She ran in both Hokas as well as Newtons so I felt that the advice she was giving me was legit.  I chalked some of my running difficulty up to my shoes and tried to stem the confidence issues that were creeping into my brain.

Jaime, Riley, and I were supposed to go for a long ride on Wednesday.  Jaime couldn’t get out of family obligations and the ride was scheduled for the afternoon at a time when temperatures would be getting close to 100.  I really wanted to figure out if my heart fluctuations had more to do with temperature conditions so I begged off and went for an earlier ride.  The ride up to Bachelor felt good and I felt like I had turned the corner.

The following day I had a long run planned.  I had hoped to get out the door early but some family issues conspired to not allow me to get out the door until the temperatures were warming up.  My run was planned into and through Shevlin Park.  It’s a run that I thoroughly enjoy, even if it can be tough.  It involves several steep ascents and descents as you run into the park.  As I ran I didn’t feel any pain in my right foot but I couldn’t get my legs to fire.  I trudged through the run and became more and more depressed as my run continued.  I completed my run, chunked my shoes in the corner, vented my frustration to the world, and brooded.  I felt like the Hokas were heavy and I wasn’t sure if they would be a viable running option.  When Jaime and I went over everything he asked me about the run, I noted that on the good side I ran nine miles and my foot didn’t hurt, but on the bad side I had probably run at my slowest pace since George Washington was a schoolboy.  Jaime jumped on me and said, “so you ran nine miles and your foot doesn’t hurt?”  I realized that it was time to look at my glass as being half full rather than being half empty.

The weekend arrived at it involved both a long run and a long bike ride.  Both went off without a hitch.  No pain, and in the case of the run, I was able to run at a comfortable pace in my Hokas.  I completed almost ten miles.  My foot felt ok and I felt like my pace was coming back to me.  The legs definitely were firing, maybe not on all cylinders, but certainly better than two days previous.  On Sunday I biked 50 miles with Jaime and Riley and Jaime noted that my legs were back.  I felt a slight sense of satisfaction and hoped that things would continue to improve.

A week after my first bike venture I had an hour and half brick to complete.  A brick involves a bike ride followed immediately by a run.  It is one of the best ways to emulate a triathlon condition.  I went out under overcast skies and began my bike ride.  I didn’t look at the numbers and just rode.  I followed the route that riders in the final stage of the Cascade Cycling Classic rode two days earlier.  It felt good and the hill climbs felt particularly satisfying.  The pudding however would be proved in the run.

I completed the bike and ran into the garage to drop off the bike and grab my run stuff.  I had decided ahead of time that I’d be testing out the Newtons I had worn in Bozeman.  It would be the first time in almost a month that I’d be running in these shoes.  I strapped on the shoes and headed out to the trails.  The pace felt good and better yet, my foot didn’t hurt.  As with the bike I didn’t worry about the times, I just worried about running.  The minutes and distance ticked by and things felt good.  As I completed my run it started to rain.  It felt good on my body and I welcomed the cool water.  It felt almost a bit like a rebirth.  I’d been through a rough month and I felt like all of that had been washed away and it was time to start anew.  I felt like I was ready for my Olympic race on Saturday.  I resolved that I wouldn’t look at numbers, I’d just go out and have fun.  That’s really how it should be.  Truth be told, the numbers do sometimes get in the way. 

Jaime and I traded texts and I thanked him for his patience as I worked through my injury.  It had been a new experience.  With each of these events I experience something new, a bit of self-doubt, and a need for a certain amount of affirmation.  I asked him if as a triathlete the experience ever became old hat.  If things became rote and you pretty much went through every experience to the point where you never faced the unknown.  While I waited for his reply it gave me time to think about my question.  These new experiences can be frustrating.  These are the challenges that must be addressed as one works their way through this lifestyle.  At times you can feel like you’re taking a step forward, only to find that you are quickly taking two steps back.  Later I heard back from Jaime.  He noted that tri is never old hat because our bodies are constantly changing, as is our knowledge.  As soon as we figure one thing out, it changes.  In reality, I think part of the reason why I, and others choose to do triathlons is because it never becomes old hat.




No comments:

Post a Comment