Saturday, August 23, 2014

Lake Stevens 70.3

Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward.
                                             Kurt Vonnegut

My eyes opened to darkness.  To the left of me I could hear deep breathing and light snoring.  Jaime and Riley were sleeping well.  I on the other hand was not.  Once again, I was the third wheel and the odd man out.  I had wrestled with the questions that were going to come to fruition in a couple of hours.  While my teammates were at the top of their game and had formed a close bond I had struggled to keep my head above water.  Self-doubt was doing it’s best to drown me hours before my ‘A’ race. 
I had thought I had gotten over the injury hump with the Deschutes Dash.  It was a good race and I had done well.  However, family commitments had cut into some valuable learning time with my Jaime and Riley and worse still, just over a week before the race I had laid the bike down hard on a ride coming down off of Bachelor.  The bike had come out of the incident with barely a scratch but my left hip had taken the brunt of the fall.  In the week following the event a massive hematoma, the size of a large softball had appeared on my hip.  No amount of icing or ointment could reduce the swelling. 
The week before the event I had attempted to run.  The swelling made for a tight and painful run.  Rather than risk further injury I simply stopped running the week prior to the race.  I concentrated on trying to rest and reduce the swelling in my hip.  A long drive to Seattle didn’t necessarily help things but it didn’t seem to make things worse.  There was a lot of unknown happening as the race was quickly approaching.
The night before the race Jaime, Riley, and I all met up at a hotel near the race.  As the evening unfolded I felt and became more solitary as I tried to wrestle with the questions that were running through my head.  To quit in my mind was not an option, but at the same time I was not sure how my body was going to respond to a half-ironman.  I had gone into Boise relaxed and confident.  Lake Stevens was a different story.  Try as I might I could not relax.  The night before the race I did not sleep well.  I woke up long before the alarm and I struggled to make sense of what I was going to do. 
We readied everything and drove out to Lake Stevens.  We took the bus from the high school down to the cove where the race would start.  There was not much talking on board the bus and it was not packed as rides to Leadman and Boise had been.  I was lost in my thoughts and I knew the clock was ticking down.  I found my bike in the transition area and started laying things out.  The two gentlemen next to me were new to half-ironman.  I tried to put them at ease.  Because my heat was one of the last going off I had plenty of time to think about what was going to happen.  The promise of a sunny day was delayed.  Overcast skies and fog held tight to the lake.
Riley and Jaime were long gone with their early race heats and I knew more than likely they would finish pretty close to one another and finish long before myself.  I was alone and bided my time staring into the lake as wave upon wave of athletes made their way onto the deck to begin their race.  As my wave got closer to the dock the fog became thicker and began to obscure the buoys out on the lake.  It seemed to mimic the uncertainty and sense of loneliness that I was feeling.  I was frustrated and upset.  I took a deep breath, called upon the spirits of friends and family, closed my eyes and tried to visualize the race ahead.  Somewhere in the lonely darkness a moment of clarity took hold.
I realized that I was not going to set the world on fire.  I was not going to make a name for my coach as a prize pupil, and I knew I was more than likely not going to have a PR from the race.  I could either laugh or I could cry.  I chose the former. 
I jumped into the water, relaxed, and waited for the horn to sound.  For the first time I was not nervous about the open water swim.  I told myself I would use that time during the swim to work on my catch, my pull, and to work on my streamline.  The horn went off and I surprised myself in my level of comfort.  The fog made sighting the buoys difficult but I realized that there was a line used for sculling races that would lead me out and back.  I relaxed, worked on my stroke, and found myself in the thick of my age group swim.

I came out of the water with a sense of purpose.  If this was not going to be a PR race well then I might as well have a bit of fun.  As I began the course a younger guy passed me and asked me how things were going and I said that they were going to be just fine.  The first twenty miles were pretty benign.  It was a beautiful course and made even more so with the light wisps of fog.  I passed a lot of riders.  I would give them a verbal high five when I went by.  My hip was tight but not painful.  To take my mind off it I started playing a little game.  If I passed a woman in her 40’s or 50’s I’d make a remark about how the marker had gotten their age wrong on their leg.  Some of the riders would remain stoic but the majority of the ladies would bust out laughing and we’d quickly wish each other a great race.  On a particularly tough hill at mile 38 I passed many people pushing their bikes up the steep incline and trying to dig down deep to keep going.  Motivation was at a low point and I sensed it was time to let it all hang out.  I yelled out, “Hey everyone, it’s time to find your inner Diana Ross!”  I then started singing Ain’t No Mountain High Enough at the top of my lungs.  I picked up my cadence and pushed up the hill.  Once I reached the top and picked my way through the tired riders I tried to lift spirits by yelling out, “We came, we saw, we kicked it’s ass.”  That elicited a couple of chuckles from the riders around me and my spirits were lifted for the remainder of the bike ride.
I came into the transition area and readied for my run.  I knew that this would be the telling moment in the race.  The first mile went by without much fanfare.  There was a short and steady hill but things seemed ok.  I came into the first run aid station feeling good and confident and I had a good pace going.  Another mile went by and things were good.  If I passed someone I would urge them on and let them know that they were doing a great job.  If someone passed me I would do likewise and give them a verbal fist bump.  The third mile featured a short, but steep hill and that’s where my hip began to make its presence known.  My left hip began to tighten up and each step began to hurt just a little bit more.  The trail turned and ran along the lake.  During this point the run went up a long and extended hill.  As I struggled to make my way up the hill I caught sight of Riley gingerly coming down the hill.  He was running at a great pace but I could see he was in pain.  I yelled out encouragement to him and kept plugging up the hill.  A couple of minutes later I met Jaime coming down the hill.  I urged him on as well, crested the hill, turned around, and began the run back to town.  I ran past the halfway point, told myself that I was going to finish, gritted my teeth, and resolved to gut things out.  My urgings to others became less frequent and I began to concentrate on simply finishing.  The sun was high, the air warm and thick, and with each aid station I would grab a cup of ice, pop one cube in my mouth, and pour the rest down my backside.  As I came to the big hill for the second time I realized that I was no longer in race mode but on survival mode.  My hip was throbbing, as were my feet.  I hit the turnaround, felt a slight surge of energy and made my way back to town.  I rounded the corner, heard the announcer call my name, and crossed the finish line.  My wife and kids were cheering me on from one side of the finish line and Jaime and Riley were cheering me on from the other side.  I felt a sense of relief and began to walk around to keep myself from throwing up.
In a fitting end to the race my wife and son had brought at my request a cooler full of ice cubes.  I took the cooler, filled it with water from Lake Stevens, and promptly took the ALS ice water challenge.  I dedicated the challenge to Loren Dils, a friend and former tennis coach at the University of New Mexico.  The water felt good and I reflected on how lucky I was in being able to complete my race.  The ravages of ALS had taken a healthy and athletic body such as Loren’s and reduced it to the status of an invalid.  Any issues I had during the race paled in comparison with what Lauren had gone and was continuing to go through on a daily basis.  I was thankful that I was able to celebrate my accomplishment with my family and my teammates.
It wasn’t the race I had hoped to complete.  Other than a good swim, no PR’s occurred.  In the whole scheme of things that was ok.  Sue, a woman I met at Jaime’s triathlon camp in Tucson said it best.  Sometimes it's just about throwing PR's aside and finishing a race out of commitment to the sport, or teammates or yourself.”  While it was not my best race, it was a gut check.  It was a race where the mind won out over the body.  It gave me confidence to face other races and told me that I could dig down deep and laugh at the frustrations of injuries, interrupted training time, and a race that didn’t meet up to initial expectations.


No comments:

Post a Comment