Monday, December 16, 2013

Nothing New on Race Day

Jaime, my coach, has many mantras that are often repeated through the race
season. One that resonates with me is the mantra of “Nothing New on Race
Day”. If you’re going to introduce something new into your race day make sure
you don’t choose to do it the morning of the race. I’ve heard horror stories of
riders who put new wheels on their bikes the day of the race only to get a flat and
not have a way to repair or replace the wheel. Two personal experiences stick in
my mind that made me take Jaime’s words to heart.

My first experience came when I did the Rolf Prima Triathlon over in Cottage
Grove, Oregon. This was my first Olympic distance triathlon. Jaime wanted to
get some heart rate readings for the race and I wanted to know distances so we
agreed that I’d wear my heart monitor and wear my Garmin Forerunner. Since
the Forerunner wasn’t waterproof I’d need to put the watch on after I emerged
from the swim portion of the race. I kept telling myself I needed to practice
getting the Forerunner set up so I’d be ready to go but I would either forget to do
so or just leisurely set it up before I went for a run or a ride. On the day of the
race I still hadn’t practiced setting it up in a race situation. I ran into the transition
area, stripped off my wetsuit and started trying to get the things on I would need
for the bike portion of the race. I strapped the Forerunner on and then began to
try to get things set up. The adrenaline of the race left my fingers fumbling and
my patience at a minimum. The Forerunner wasn’t setting up quick enough, and
worse, it was delaying my departure from the transition area. I got on the bike
and rode out of the transition with my left hand on the handlebars and my right
arm clumsily trying to set my Forerunner so that I could read the data. Having no
success, I finally said, “to hell with it” and just started riding. I ended up finishing
the race just fine, but I also think the bike portion of my race would have gone
better had I known how far I had gone and how far I still needed to go.

My second experience is one that really sticks in my mind. This one occurred
when I participated in the RAT race in Redmond, Oregon. When Jaime and his
wife Heather moved to Bend Jaime was kind enough to loan me a Laughing Dog
Tri singlet to wear racing. At that time I was quite a bit heavier and so the singlet
fit pretty tightly around my middle. Fast-forward two months. I’m still wearing the
same singlet but I’ve also lost quite a bit of weight. It still fits but it isn’t as snug
as it once was around my torso. The swim portion of the RAT was done in heats
in a pool. Prior to that race the two other races I had done with the singlet were
done in open water with a wetsuit. I hadn’t really had a chance to assess how
the singlet would handle in a pool setting. Our group was led into the pool area
just minutes before our heat began. We were told we could get into our lane
once it was empty of racers from the previous race. Unfortunately my lane had a
very slow swimmer that didn’t emerge until approximately 30 seconds before the
race began. I jumped into the pool only to discover just how much weight and
girth I had lost. My once snug singlet was now very loose in the water. I could
feel the fabric floating around my body and panicked. I needed to get the singlet
off but before I could begin to remove it my heat began. I swam the race wearing
a nice drag singlet that felt like I was pulling a parachute down the lane.

What did I learn from this, other than listening to my coach’s wisdom? I learned
to practice every part of the transition, no matter how minor, and I also made
sure several days ahead of the race that I practiced with the equipment and
apparel I would be utilizing.

If anything this type of practice and preparation gives you a certain confidence in
your abilities once race day arrives. It doesn’t mean that problems won’t occur
(more on that later) but it does mean you’ve done as much as you can to prepare

effectively in order to be successful on race day.

No comments:

Post a Comment