Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Sh#*! Happens

“In reality shit happens in every race”
                                                       Jaime Dispenza, Laughing Dog Tri Coach

There was very little room in the pool area so all of the assembling for the pool
portion of the sprint triathlon was done in the parking lot. I was doing my first
pool swim race in over a month. I was led from the parking lot into the pool area
with 11 other racers. We were told to pair up and that once our lane was clear
we could jump in and practice. Skip, a friend of mine, and I paired up and bided
our time as we waited for our lane to clear. One swimmer out, one continued on.
The minute hand clicked closer to our heat and still our lane did not clear. Skip
and I nervously chatted and kept an eye on the swimmer in our lane – now the
only swimmer left in the pool. Finally, with less than a minute left until our heat
began the swimmer struggled out of our lane. Skip and I quickly jumped into the
pool. For a second everything felt fine and then a feeling of alarm came over me.
My trisuit top was too big!

When Jaime and his wife Heather moved to Bend Jaime was kind enough to loan
me a Laughing Dog Tri singlet to wear when I raced. At that time I was quite a
bit heavier and so the singlet fit pretty tightly around my middle. I wore the
singlet under my wetsuit in a couple of races and it did just fine. However, I
hadn’t really taken the time to assess how the singlet would handle in a pool
setting. When I jumped into the pool I discover just how much weight and girth I
had lost in the last couple of months. My once snug singlet was now very loose
in the water. I could feel the fabric floating around my body and I panicked. I
needed to get the singlet off otherwise I’d be wearing something that would slow
down my swim. However, before I could begin to remove the singlet my heat
began. I swam the race wearing a nice drag singlet that felt like I was pulling a
parachute down the lane.

The first hundred yards of the race I went through several emotions. I was
panicked about having the singlet on, then I was pissed at myself for not
swimming in the singlet in the pool prior to the race, and then I was depressed
because I knew that this would slow my overall race time. After that first 100 I
finally got myself settled down and swam a decent, though slow 400. I emerged
from the pool and told myself, “well that portion of the race is done, you’ve got
two more races to finish, let’s go!” I went out and finished the rest of the rest. My
swim time sucked but on the bike and run portions I had personal bests. I didn’t
podium, but I wasn’t last, and in the end I got a burrito, a beer, and a teenage girl
said I looked cute in ‘my doggie top’ – what couldn’t be better?

When I ran through the race with Jaime he made the comment about shit
happening in every race. As I thought about it, he was right. I’m not sure that
anyone can say they’ve run an absolutely perfect race. Maybe a piece of
clothing didn’t go on right. Maybe a piece of equipment failed. Maybe there was
a delay in coming out of the transition area. Maybe a wrong turn was made.
Maybe an unexpected cramp occurred. At the end of the race I chatted with a
couple of friends who participated in the race and each had experienced their
‘shit happens’ moment. Neal related that he came out of pool and tried to put his
singlet top on but couldn’t get it unbunched over his chest so he rode the entire
portion of the race looking like he was wearing a bikini top, albeit one exposing
his nipples. John chuckled as he described how he fell on his bike as he came
into the transition area when it went from asphalt to grass. Aaron described
taking a wrong turn in the park and running toward the finish line with a volunteer
quick on his heels yelling at him to turn around. We all had our shit happens
moments during the race.

I realized after talking to Jaime that the trick in all of this is to determine how
you’re going to respond when your ‘shit happens’ moment occurs. I could have
easily just ‘mailed in’ the race after my swimming debacle. Instead I told myself
that what was done was done. It had happened, there was nothing I could do
about it, and I needed to move forward, and finish the two portions of the race I
had left. I ended up having a pretty good race and it was fun to laugh with
friends afterwards about our mistakes, pitfalls, and pratfalls. After that race
Jaime loaned me a one-piece trisuit for my next race. I made sure I wore it for
one of my practice sessions. I jumped in the water and swam a couple of laps. It
fit like a glove. I knew I’d have another ‘shit happens’ moment in my next race,
but at least this time when I swam I wouldn’t feel like I was wearing a parachute
in a wind tunnel.

The next race I did great on the swim. However I missed a turn on my bike when
a volunteer wasn’t paying attention and I blew through a roundabout. As I turned
around and got myself back on the course I smiled and thought to myself, shit

happens in every race.

No comments:

Post a Comment