Monday, September 29, 2014

Leadman

The bus rumbled up the hill past Bachelor as the sun began to streak across the
upper hillsides of patchy snow. Everything seemed so familiar, right down to my
partner needing to use the bathroom and squirming through the last couple of
miles of our journey to Cultus Lake.

It was the Leadman Tri and it was my last race of the season. Everything
pointed to perhaps it being the last Leadman to be held here in Bend. If that is
the case it will be a shame because it’s a great race in a beautiful setting. All
year long each race had been filled with the unknown. Even the Beaver Freezer
and Deschutes Dash had their new elements be it a different pool or a different
distance. The Leadman though was familiar like an old shoe.

We arrived at Cultus and Wendy, my companion scrambled for the exit much as
her roommate Justin had done the previous year. We unloaded and made our
way to the transition area. Last year it had been cold and wet and the chilliness
of the lake had actually been a welcome relief from the ambient air temperature.
This year it was clear though it was still chilly.

I got everything organized and got my wetsuit on and made my way to the boat
launch where the swimmers were gathering. It was disappointing to see a
smaller turnout than the previous year – at least that is how it seemed. As the
group before us went off my group began to make their way out to buoy to begin
the swim. It seemed further but the water also seemed warmer and clearer –
perhaps due to the sunlight.

The gun went off and I began to swim hard. Perhaps I went out a bit too hard as
I noted that things were tightening up a bit. I remembered that Jaime had written
in my notes of avoiding just such a thing and so I did a mental reboot and slowed
my pace. After going past a couple of buoys and got into a pace that would be
manageable throughout the rest of the race. I rounded the final buoy and
mentally reminded myself that I had the swim in the bag. I made my way back
toward the shore. The sun was now completely up and it made for some
interesting sighting issues as we were swimming directly into its glare. I turned
into the boat launch area and thought to myself that I could have kept going.
Perhaps I could have gone harder, but in a year when I finally became
comfortable with the open water swim I was willing to take this swim even if I
could have gone a bit faster.

I stripped out of my wetsuit and kept things to a minimum – just the racing suit,
socks, shoes, and helmet. Last year out of the water my fingers were numb and
I struggled to get things on. This year I would be able to get out of transition in
less than half the time it took me last year. I turned the bike onto the
campground road and made my way to the highway. It was time to grab a quick
gel for nutrition. I looked down at my bike frame and realized that it getting
everything that I had forgotten to attach the gels to my frame. It would be race
that I would rely on my bottles – one full of perpetuem and the other full of water.
No losing bottles on this race.

I settled into a comfortable pace and cadence and started picking off riders one
by one. Things felt good and I was hitting at just over 20 mph. I knew that
wouldn’t last when I hit the hills so I was making the most of this part of the race.
I came up to a familiar logo and started my best Right Said Fred imitation and
serenaded Wendy with “You’re too sexy for that bike” as I passed by her. The
first hour passed and I realized that I was a third through the bike portion of the
race. The Cascade Lakes passed by, first Crane Prairie, then Lava, then Elk,
then Devil’s, and finally Sparks. The turnoff to Sparks signaled that toughest part
of the race was ready to begin – the hill from Sparks Lake up to the foot of Mount
Bachelor. I geared down and mentally got ready for the challenge. Jaime and I
worked on this part of the race two weeks prior to the race and he told me to
really make a push up the hill. I charged past others struggling up the hill and
kept mentally picking off markers as I made my way up the hill. When I rode past
the turnoff to the Westside Village I knew it was in the bag. One short climb up to
the ODOT maintenance area and then it was all downhill into Bend.

I made my way in to the transition area and heard a cheer from my wife as well
as a couple of families from the school where I teach. I quickly made my way out
of transition, through a couple of confusing turns, and ran out onto the course.
Things were feeling good and I was going at a pretty good pace. I even saw
Wendy coming down the road so I was able to serenade her one more time (she
claimed she couldn’t get the song out of her head during the race). Down Mount
Washington I ran and I was going at a pretty nice pace. I enjoyed the shade and
made my way up the first hill. The shade gave way to a blazing sun. The
previous year temperatures were in the high 50’s when I ran and it was actually
rather pleasant. This year it was sunny and the temperature was in the mid 80’s.
As I made my way up the hill on Meeks Drive I could begin to feel the heat beat
on me. I knew during the next four miles I’d be exposed to the elements and
would need to push myself hard. I made my way up the last hill and took some
comfort in the fact that I was running faster than some bikers who were struggling
up the same hill. The sun and heat began to take their toll. At the aid station
between mile 5 and 6 I actually stopped for a moment in the shade of the tent the
volunteers were using to down a flat but chilly Coke. I was determined to finish
strong and gathered up all my energy for that final push to the finish line. As I
neared the finish line I heard my friend and teammate Riley yell encouragement.
I plugged away at it and crossed the finish line almost thirty minutes faster than I
had done the previous year. I was finished and I had fun in the process. My time
was good enough for a small buckle and I relished in the fact that I had finished
the race and felt good afterwards. I wasn't passed on either the bike or the run
by other racers so I felt good about what I had done.  It was a great race and a
great feeling of accomplishment.

That night my wife and I met some old college friends on their way through Bend
as they took their son to Corvallis to begin his first year at Oregon State. We met
at LaRosa and sat in the same booth where I had sat the previous year with
Jaime, Heather, Justin, and Celeste after finishing Leadman. When we got done,
said our goodbyes, and headed outside, my wife and I could hear the announcer
recognize some runners who were still trickling in from the longer race. It was all
so familiar.

The next morning I awoke to a text from Jaime that simply said, ‘Welcome to the
off-season!” My racing season was over. It had been a good one. There is an
old saying that claims that familiarity can breed contempt. However, in this case
I have to say that familiarity bred content. I look forward to what the next racing
season has in store for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment