Thursday, September 18, 2014

Waiting to Bolt Out of the Gate


The last few days fall has definitely been in the air. The mornings have been crisp and cool. The sun is coming up later and going down earlier. Yellows and reds are mixed in among the green leaves. With the preview it definitely becomes official next week when the autumnal equinox occurs.

This weekend is my last race of the year. It’s fitting as summer is moving into fall. I’m excited for the race but the end of the season brings up the unknown of what comes next. Soon the darkness will outweigh the light. My training will move from race prep to maintaining and building up my base.

A friend of mind said of Bend. “It’s a winter town where summer is an added bonus.” My coach likes to say that the race is the icing on the cake, so I guess that race season is that ‘summer bonus’. Once it is done it’s like the day after New Year’s. The moment you put the messy platter that held the tasty birthday cake in the dishwasher. The morning after you’ve finished the big race. All the build up and energy is gone and you’re left feeling as if you’re in a bit of a vacuum.

Years ago as a child I hated January. Christmas was done and winter had dug in its heels. My folks didn’t ski so at that time winter consisted of sledding and only if there was snow. It was cold, dreary, and bare.

As an adult I now see that month after the holidays as a time to regroup, redefine, reflect, recharge, and regenerate. It’s a time to plan for the upcoming year. In the next couple of weeks I hope to sit down with my coach and go through the past year and plan for the coming year. Chief among our planning concerns will be to prepare and develop a training plan for my first full Ironman next June in Coeur d’Alene.

For now though I still get to enjoy the last race of the season. This time last year I was simply trying to finish the race. Now I’m making a concerted effort to have nothing left in the tank when I cross the finish line. I’m approaching this race with confidence and excitement. I liken it to the first few seconds of a horse race where the horses and riders are loaded and everyone is waiting for the bell to ring and gates to fly open. I have all this pent up excitement and energy just waiting to get left on the course.

It’s a fitting end to what has been an eventful and interesting season. What began back in January with a foggy half-marathon in Salem will end with a long course race in September less than a mile from my home. Just like a kid running down the stairs on Christmas morning to rip open the biggest present I can’t wait to rip this race a new one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment