Thursday, November 7, 2013

Boise

“Wow man! You’re doing Boise? That is some goal you’ve set for yourself! That
is awesome!” I was a little surprised by this response. It had started out
innocently enough in the locker room of the local pool, as a brief conversation
with a guy who I knew was a local triathlete. It came up that I was going to do a
triathlon and when he asked me what I was training for I simply said “Boise”. In
my naivete I didn’t realize there was more than one race in Boise. He was
referencing the Boise Ironman 70.3 and I was referencing an indoor triathlon at
Boise State University. Same location. Two very different races and distances.

Indoor triathlons are not that unusual, particularly in the Pacific Northwest where I
live. In fact, there is a very popular series in Washington called the Rainman
series that takes place in several locations around Puget Sound prior to the
summer racing season. I discovered the race in Boise while looking for dates on
trifind.com. I figured it would be the perfect toe dipper for someone new to tris
such as myself.

The format for an indoor sprint tri is the same as any other sprint. The major
difference between this type of a race and a regular sprint tri is that it all occurs
indoors. What further differentiated Boise is that no times were kept during
transition. The racing waves were kept very small so it would seem less
overwhelming. No big crowds, no rain, no headwind, no difficult transitions. The
drive (just a bit over 5 hours) was probably a bit excessive for such a race but it
was a long weekend so for me this was as much a sightseeing adventure and a
weekend away as it was my first foray into triathlons.

I arrived at the Boise State Rec Center for my ‘race’ and checked in. After
changing into my swimsuit I found my way back to the pool. There were four of
us and we would each have a lane to ourselves. We were all assembled and the
lanes were empty so they let us go off early. The length was 750 meters. I was
worried about the distance but I just told myself to relax and if worse came to
worse I could always do a lap swimming the breaststroke. I was only competing
against myself and I viewed this race as simply setting a benchmark that I could
improve upon throughout the coming season. The swim wasn’t spectacular but I
did manage to get it done and yes, after about 550 meters, I did have to resort to
alternating breaststroke with the regular crawl. I survived, got it done, and pulled
myself out of the pool ready for the bike portion.

I changed into my bike kit and headed upstairs to the spin lab. The nice
volunteer went over with me the bike I’d be using and let me know that I’d need
to alert them when I hit twelve miles so they could come over and tell me when I
had completed my ride. Music blared from the speakers. Madonna, The Foo
Fighters, Calvin Harris, and Lady Gaga kept me going at a steady clip. I
discovered that although I like reggae it can be a real buzzkill as far as pedal
cadence is concerned.

Soon I was off the bike, changed, and running around the indoor track. The
surface was nice and springy and felt good, but the laps quickly turned
monotonous. I found myself trading quips with the volunteers as I would go by
and count down laps until I could claim my fictional margarita at the finish line. I
finished, showered, grabbed a snack, thanked the volunteers, and received my
time. 750 swim – 18:30, 12.4 miles 32:47, 5K run 26:33. I finished right in the
middle of the pack. Given that the transitions were not timed and that you could
take up to 15 minutes between stations it wasn’t exactly a race for benchmarks
per se but it was a non-threatening start to my triathlon season, and lifestyle.

A couple of weeks ago I saw my triathlete friend at the pool. We talked about the
past season and what the future held. When he asked me about next year’s
races I mentioned Boise. This time I quickly noted that it would be the 70.3 and
not the indoor tri. We shared a laugh about last year’s confusion and I noted that
this would be my first half-ironman. Once again, I would dip my toe into a new
experience and again, it would take place in Boise. This time I will truly do Boise,
and this time I have a new and more ambitious goal. As my triathlete friend

noted earlier in the year, I hope it will be awesome

No comments:

Post a Comment