Saturday, November 16, 2013

Spectator Sport?

“Would you like for me to come cheer you on?” My wife, who was half-asleep,
asked me this question as I prepared to head out to the Beaver Freezer for my
first triathlon. While I appreciated her thoughtfulness as well as her willingness to
stand out in the damp cold I declined her offer of support. In my mind, no
amount of Dutch Bros. coffee would be worth watching me in my first triathlon.

Truth be told, triathlons are not the most fan-friendly events. Save for the start or
the finish, most of the race occurs on roads or trails that are far flung and away
from the action. Unlike the cyclo-cross races my wife does, triathlons normally
aren’t set up in laps. Rather, they are point to point or set up as an out and back.
I suppose one could hang out at the transition area. I’ve seen some folks do just
that, particularly when the swim/bike and bike/run transitions are in the same
area. I guess the thought of cheering someone on, waiting for a quick glimpse of
them as they return from one portion of a race only to quickly head out again isn’t
that appealing to me. In a sprint race the time frame for waiting isn’t too bad but
in a longer race such as a half-ironman you’re talking five to six hours. It’s
wonderful to have that support but I’m not sure I could ask anyone to wait around
that long.

When my last race of the year came up I did ask my wife to be there at the finish
line. It was a long course event and I gave her a ballpark estimate of when I’d be
there. After six hours of racing I crossed the finish line to cheers and the
beaming face my wife. After a quick congratulatory hug from my coach and
backslap from a fellow teammate I walked over to hug my wife. As I went to
embrace her I stopped and said, “Oh crap, I’m sorry babe. I’m drenched in sweat
and I must smell like death warmed over.” She laughed and hugged me anyway.
It was a nice way to end my first long course event.

I’m thinking for the next race I might suggest to my wife that we just go out and
celebrate with dinner after I’ve had a nice long, hot, shower and been able to use

some deoderant.

No comments:

Post a Comment