Thursday, November 7, 2013

Encouragement

It was mid-February. I was well into my third month of training for my first
triathlon. There had been some hiccups along the way. Of course, there were
the holidays. Worse still, I had been suffering from a respiratory ailment that
always seemed to rear it’s ugly head when I would get into the pool. After
several weeks of fitful training starts I had finally settled into a routine. I was
feeling better but I had also lost some training time and I felt that my swimming
was woefully behind schedule.

I arrived at the pool as I had done on previous Saturdays. I was there as the
doors opened. I shuffled into the indoor pool ready to begin my workout. I was
confronted with a bulkhead that no longer separated the pool into two 25-meter
segments. Instead, the bulkhead had been pushed to the end in order to create
one long 50-meter segment. This long course was done in order to help
swimmers prepare for the upcoming open-water swim season. I however saw
this long course as a huge mental obstacle to overcome in my swim training.
When I began swimming it should be noted that I struggled to complete a simple
25-meter lap without gasping for air. The master’s swim sessions I participated
in left me physically feeling nauseated and rather discouraged. My confidence
level with swimming was at an all time low. The simple addition of 25-meters to a
lap seemed like the last straw being dropped on an already overloaded camel.
Sighing, I got in the pool and slogged through my workout. The workout was
relatively easy – just 500 meters, which in training terms for a swimmer is a
pittance. However, it might as well have been the English Channel as far as I
was concerned. I got out of the pool tired, defeated, and questioning whether or
not I’d be able to accomplish my goal much less finish my first triathlon which
would occur in just over a month.

I remember standing under the warm water of the shower in the locker room after
my swim session. As the water streamed down my body I seriously thought
about giving up on my goal and just saying to hell with it all. The anger and
embarrassment I felt was palpable. I wasn’t making progress and I felt like my
swim fitness was atrocious. I was at low ebb mentally and emotionally.

I came out of the shower and was greeted by Robert, an ultra-distance runner
who, like me, came to swim early on Saturday mornings. We had seen each
other often enough to be friendly and engage in conversation. “What did you
think of the long course?” he asked me. Rather than give him some superficial
and pat answer for some reason I ended up spilling out the emotions flowing
through me. Robert quietly listened and then he offered me a couple of pointers
to try with my next swim session. He also offered suggestions on what I could do
to improve my form (mainly keeping my head down and pushing my chest down
in the water so my legs would come up closer to the surface). He ended by
encouraging me to keep working hard and doing my best. With that he pulled on
his bike kit, threw his backpack over his shoulder, and headed out the door
whistling a jaunty tune.

It wasn’t much but those words and that brief time spent with me as I look back
was probably what kept me going and recommitted myself to that goal. Coming
from a person such as Robert, an experienced athlete meant a lot. I took some
of what he said, applied it to my swimming, and began to see some small
improvements. It made me realize that even though this was my personal goal
and my journey that every so often I needed to be willing to look to others to
assist me on my journey.

When undertaking a goal that involves a certain amount of training it is important
to realize that there will be times of improvements and then there will be times
where things plateau, and even regress a bit. There will be days where things
don’t seem to come together and others when you feel that you’re the king of the
world. On the days things aren’t working out perhaps it’s best to take a step
back. Think about what you’ve eaten, determine how many hours you are
sleeping, and see if there are other stressors that may factor into poor
performance or the feeling of fatigue. Sometimes it may simply be getting into a
rut and needing to mix things up a bit in your training program to get things to fall
into place.

One of the benefits of having a good coach is that they are able to analyze your
training and make adjustments. They provide an ear for questions and can ease
nerves when self-doubt creeps into the psyche. They are able to see the big
picture and look for patterns that may not easily reveal themselves to someone
who is just beginning a training regimen. If a coach is not an option then perhaps
seek out a mentor or someone with experience. Sometimes it may simply mean
striking up a conversation with someone you’ve often seen at the track, on the
road, or at the pool.

I learned that day in February a good lesson. Sometimes we need just a bit of
encouragement to get over the hump. It is ok to seek out and ask for assistance
and guidance from others. After that day I also discovered that it ok to
encourage others as they work toward their goals. In doing so I just might be
helping others continue on their path towards reaching their goal. It also think in
doing so it reminds me of the goal I have set for myself. Several months after
our conversation I had the opportunity to share a beer with Robert and thank him
for those simple words of encouragement. Had I not heard those words and kept

going I’m not sure I would have accomplished my goals or be where I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment