Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Modesty

“One piece (triathlon suits) do rock, but your religion will be known by all
spectators, …not for the modest”
                     Jaime Dispenza - coach, mentor, friend. He rocks the one piece
                      with the best of them – as long as the race belt goes in front (at his
                      wife’s request).

There is a point where you just have to say, “Yeah, I know I may look ridiculous,
but so what.”

When I raced Boise it was a small indoor race and was managed in such a way
that you didn’t really see a lot of competitors or people for that matter.
Consequently, embarrassment due to an out of shape body being squeezed into
a non-flattering outfit was kept to a bare minimum, no pun intended. The Beaver
Freezer would be the reverse of that in so many ways.
First off the Beaver Freezer is one of, if not the largest triathlon that begins in an
indoor pool (in fact they utilize two facilities on the campus of Oregon State
University). It always sells out. I registered minutes after it opened up and within
two hours there was a waiting list for participants. If Boise was a very small fire
then the Beaver Freezer was a journey into a very large and sizzling hot frying
pan.

I was nervous about having to wear a tri outfit, particularly the tri bottoms which
didn’t leave much to the imagination. I was overweight, self-conscious, and
embarrassed about what would happen should a cute girl say, “hi”. I was able to
overcome all of this by telling myself that I was two and half hours from home, I
wouldn’t know anyone in the race, and no cute girl in her right mind would say,
“hi” to an overweight fifty year old.

The morning of the race in Corvallis was chilly and foggy. My tri shorts were
covered well beneath incognito sunglasses, a skullcap, heavy sweatshirt, and
baggy fleece sweats. I would be able to wait until the last minute to mortify the
world by stripping down. As I began to set things out in the transition area I
heard from behind me a high pitched and excited voice call out, “Dave! Dave!” I
thought to myself, that’s too funny, someone else named Dave is participating in
this race (not really that surprising, it’s a popular name). I went back to my work
only to hear the voice, a little bit more impatient this time emit the same highpitched,
“Dave!” I thought, what the heck, and turned around. I saw an excited
young girl frantically waving at me from just outside the transition area. It was
Janelle, a student from my school in Bend. I walked over to her, got a hug, and
asked her what she was doing in Corvallis. She happily replied, “I’m here to see
my Dad race in the Beaver Freezer and now I’m watching you race too!”
I calmed my initial fears of mortification and embarrassment by reasoning that
there were so many racers that Janelle’s Dad couldn’t possibly be in my wave. A
large hand slapped my back. “Hi Mr. D! Are you racing soon?” It was Janelle’s
Dad, Drew. My fears became more pronounced when I discovered that Drew
and I were, in fact, in the same wave of the race. “Isn’t that great Dave? We’ll
be able to see you race!”, Janelle squealed. Yeah, I thought to myself, and you’ll
get to see all of me. Probably more than you’d like. Hopefully you won’t need
therapy.

Drew set up next to me and we chatted. Our conversation actually helped me
get through some of the pre-race butterflies I was having. As Drew began to strip
down I realized I had arrived at my Rubicon. There was no turning back. I didn’t
yell out “Aleu lacta est” as Caesar is said to have done, but with a deep breath I
began to remove my clothing. The die had been cast and if there was any hope
of modesty that was quickly crumpled up along with my clothes and jammed into
my transition bag.

Shivering and clad only in a skimpy pair of tri bottoms that left very little to the
imagination I joined Drew, Janelle, and her mom. We walked toward Langton
Pool, where the men’s swim portion of the race would take place. I felt selfconscious,
exposed, and ashamed. As we walked Janelle looked over, completely oblivious 
to the fact that one of her teachers was almost naked, and
exclaimed, “I think it is so cool that you are racing today Dave.” My heart
warmed, my embarrassment faded, and I felt a sense of confidence seep into my
chilled body. I smiled, and looked over at her and said, “Me too Janelle, me too.”
I knew I probably looked ridiculous but at that point I didn’t care. I was ready to
race and I was ready to have some fun. I told myself that I may look ridiculous,

but so what.

No comments:

Post a Comment